Following drummer Lars Ulrich’s sneak peek at the band’s new collaborative album with the San Francisco Symphony during his tribute to former symphony music director Michael Tilson Thomas last month, Metallica officially unveiled the artwork and tracklisting for S&M2, a live album and film that will be released Aug. 28.
The live album was recorded during the opening shows at San Francisco’s Chase Center in September 2019.
S&M2 will be available as a four-record vinyl set, two-CD set, DVD and Blu-Ray offerings, and deluxe combinations that include multiple products and extras such as sheet music and a poster. The accompanying concert film is a new version edited by Joe Hutching (Through The Never). S&M2 is available for pre-order now, preceded by the S&M2 versions of “All Within My Hands” and “Nothing Else Matters,” both available on streaming platforms.
Catch up with our interview with San Francisco Symphony conductor Edwin Outwater about staging the live performances.
Versions of the album:
- Deluxe Box (limited edition 4LP color vinyl, exclusive photobook, 2CDs, Blu-ray, sheet music, five guitar picks, poster, download card)
- Super Deluxe Box (all of the above + original sheet music signed by the band. Limited to 500 via Metallica.com)
- Black 4LP set w/photobook and download card
- Color 4LP set w/photobook and download card (exclusive to indie retail + Metallica.com)
- 2CD set w/36-page booklet
- 2CD/Blu-ray set w/36-page booklet
- 2CD/DVD set w/36-page booklet
- Digital Album
- Digital Movie